Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Kitchen

I found this idea on my cousin Sonya's blog and thought it would be a good way to share some info and pics about our kitchen(s). So here's 10 random facts about our kitchen:

1. My kitchen is very small. In fact we only have space for a small square pub style table and 2-3 chairs. Sarah’s high chair is a little off to the side, which isn’t ideal but the way it is. Sure is different than our kitchen in Abbotsford!


This is the kitchen BEFORE:
The following pics are the kitchen AFTER:


2. I love how I can see the Catholic church steeple and cross from our kitchen window. Somewhow it makes doing dishes a little nicer when there's something to look at. I can also hear the church bells a couple of times a day.



3. I keep a meal plan for the week. This is something that I have done off and on through the years but have only now become pretty good at it. When the flyers come out on Thursday and Friday I can see what’s on sale and plan accordingly. We buy groceries on the weekend and the plan goes from Mon to the weekend, it also helps us save money by buying what we need. The plan is always on the fridge so we both know what’s for dinner. I can always switch up the meal days if the need be.

4. I enjoy both cooking and baking, but like baking the most. The worst thing about cooking is deciding what to make, the plan makes that better.

5. I love organization and labels. This is difficult to accomplish in a small kitchen with limited space. My baking shelf is one place where I can count on organization and clear labels.



6. Gone are the days of my lovely stainless steel appliances. Our fridge is small and ugly, oh well at least it’s a neutral colour. So now we are that family with the huge monthly calendar and meal plan on the front of the fridge and photos all along the side.



7. This semester David and I eat dinner together most of the time. The other days he’s in class so I eat alone and he eats leftovers when he comes home. Sarah usually eats just before us and then sits in her highchair munching on cheerios while we eat. This way we’re all together and I can still eat my meal and have a conversation with David. You do what works.

8. I have many cookbooks. I love cookbooks almost as much as the actual cooking. My favourite cookbook is the one with all my compiled recipes from magazines, the internet and friends. I also love my church/ school cookbooks.

9. We only have the fridge freezer. This has also been a big change from our old place. Currently the whole freezer door is filled with labeled bags of cubed baby food. At the moment there’s turkey, chicken, peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, squash, rice, plums and peaches.

10. We actually have two kitchens, one up and one down. We only use the upstairs kitchen. Even though the downstairs one is actually nicer I just don't like the idea of cooking and eating in the basement, there's just not enough light for me. We call the downstairs one our nook, so as to avoid confusion. The nook does not have an oven, just our mini fridge. However, it does have a dishwasher that we never use. The eating space is bigger so we have a table and chairs set down there. This is where I tutor, sew and scrapbook.


This is the kitchen BEFORE: (That's not wall paper, it's all sponge painting that need to be sanded and primed)
This is the kitchen AFTER: (yes, I did paint all the cupboards too)


11. If I could change one thing about my kitchen, besides making it bigger, it would be removing the tile on the walls. Changing the cabinets would also be a big improvement, but that’s not going to happen. Now you know plenty of trivial facts about me and my kitchen.
I just had my womens Bible study group at our place this morning. It went really well. I offered to host that way Sarah doesn't have to miss her nap and I don't have to figure out a ride. Hope you're having a good day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I have to agree with you that trying to decide what to make for dinner is sometimes the hardest thing. Oh, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has pictures all over her fridge.

Related Posts with Thumbnails