Sunday, January 4, 2009

Back in Ontario

So at this point I think the Blog site has been finally updated and I will move on to the present.

At 12:3o am, on the day that we left BC, I woke up violently ill. I had caught Jen's dreaded flu! I spent the night in the washroom and got a couple of hours of sleep in the late morning. I can't even remember the last time I was this sick. David called the airline to see if we could change our flight to the following day. Since we would have to pay extra for a flight change and enough to make up the difference of a new flight, we would have had to spend about $600. more. I was freaking out! Having the flu is bad enough when you're at home, never mind having to fly and travel. Since there was no way I wanted us to pay the extra amount I accepted my fate and faced my reality.

By about 10am I was able to sit upright for short periods of time. I took a shower at 11 am, when I threw up all the liquids that David had me drink the last couple of hours. So it was back to the couch to lay down while my mom blow dried my hair. Since our flight was delayed we didn't have to be at the airport until about 2:15. Once we got there I couldn'g help but just lay on the seats until we had to go through customs.

Thankfully, the guy who was seated next to us got up and went to sit with his Volleyball team on the back of the plane; so I was able to lay down and nap while David held Sarah. This was the only reason that I made it through the journey. Praise the Lord, I did not throw up on the plane or have diarrhea (my greater fear, as I have laready experienced throwing up on a plane). For awhile, I thought it was inevitable that I would be getting my very own "most embarassing moment ever" story, glad I avoided that one yet again. I cannot begin to explain the relief I felt when I was finally able to lay down and go to sleep in our own bed.

Yesterday morning I felt much better. I still haven't eaten much, but I'm getting better. Sarah was also sick while we stayed at Jen and Regan's. She's been doing better but still threw up yesterday morning. Today seems to be a better day for both of us.

There is snow on the ground here, but it is much drier, crunchier snow than back in BC. It's funny to think that the one sad thing about going to BC for Christmas was the thought that I would probably be missing my chance of having a white Christmas. Turns out it was MUCH whiter in Abbotsford than it was here in St. Catharines.

Here is Sarah helping unpack all the noodles that David brought back from Abby. The dried noodle selection only consists of Mr. Noodles in St. Catharines. We brought back half a suitcase of just noodles! We're a little strange, I know.


Yesterday afternoon I turned my head to see our Christmas tree come crashing down. I knew that it wasn't that steady to begn with but I was surrised with how quick it came down. Sarah must have yanked on a branch just the right way. Thankfully, Sarah was just sitting beside it and no harm was done. Just three broken ornaments, one cheap Walmart bulb and 2 of my Pier 1 ornaments that I recieved as gifts years ago. A little sad, but really not that bad. I just reminded myself that it doesn't even come close to comparing to the time when my brother Barrie (onlya couple of years old) knocked over my mom's China cabinet, smashing all but 2 pieces.

So came the end of the Christmas decorations. I was going to take everything down today anyways, this just made me clean up a little earlier.


David and I have been amazed how much Sarah has changed even since we were away for Christmas. It's so much more noticeable now that we're back in our house with all of our stuff. She is pulling herself up and standing every chance that she can get (probably what she was trying to do with the Christmas tree). Every so often she lets go but then just falls on her bottom. She is indeed curious and eager to see and experience everything around her.

I'm amazed how having a busy baby has encouraged a very clean and tidy house. When things are put away and out of reach there are less things that she can get into. We can't leave anything on the floor anymore. This is proving to be especially challenging for David, who is good at leaving his books and other items on the floor. I don't think I'll mind this extra encouragement for him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Shari! I can't even begin to imagine how awful it must have been to fly home in such rough shape. What a relief it must have been to get home. Glad to hear you're starting to feel better now.

marge said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had to travel home being so sick. It sounds like you had a great visit and little Sara is so adorable. Get well soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails