Friday, January 9, 2009

Getting Organized... Online

January usually involves lots of cleaning and organizing. Since we just moved here five months ago I don't have a ton of organizing to do, just the regular cleaning. Although, I am still working on hanging those last few pictures on the wall and need to sort out the cellar one of these days. I also find that keeping up with Sarah's closet, with the changing sizes and all is a big enough job sometimes. So this week we've been working on a different kind of organization. I know, it's a bit of a make work project, but enjoyable just the same.

While we were in BC for Christmas my brother Mathew (thanks Matt), introduced us to the website http://www.chasingthefrog.com/


The website is a great place for movie reviews and a good way to see what's out there. Even better than that, is the "My DVD Collection" feature on the site. If you know us you will know that we have a lot of DVD's! So the other night David and I started the task of cataloguing our collection online. Why do such a thing? You may be thinking. Well, it has already proven to be much easier to look and see what we want to watch. I am also one of those people who forgets what I have watched so reading a short bit about the movie, etc seems to be helpful for me. It also gives the time length of the movie, etc. You can also mark which ones are borrowed out if you like. My one complaint is the lack of categorizing. It would be nice if there was a spot where one could bring up all of one kind of movie. For example, if you could just look through your "comedy" or "suspense" movies it would be more helpful when looking to see what to watch. Perhaps we just have too many movies.

Another good web site that we were told about while in Ontario is http://www.boardgamegeek.com/

This is a great place to see what games are popular, read reviews, etc. It also has a "my collection" page where you can add your personal collection. This isn't as great as the movie site (unless you have tons of games). But I think it would be helpful if someone else wanted to look through your collection to see what they wanted you to bring over. And yes, of course I used this feature on the site. Our collection is actualy quite impressive, if I do say so myself.
Last night we got together with Matt and Kristi for some gaming. We played Ticket to Ride and introduced them to Agricola. They were keen farmers and so it looks like we'll be playing that with them again soon. It works out really well since we bring Sarah and put her to bed in the play pen, while they're putting their three kids to bed. No baby sitters needed, a house full of sleeping children and we're good to go. Game on!
When I think about how many hours use we've got out of our games I am just amazed. It would cost more to get a baby sitter, go out for dinner and a movie than to buy our most expensive game ($66). It's also so much more social and interactive, and you've got the game to use over and over again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I may have to check out Chasing The Frog. Sounds interesting.

Related Posts with Thumbnails