Thursday, November 13, 2008

Trash or Treasure


Every Thursday morning is garbage day for us. Regardless of stat holidays, the trucks continue to run and so garbage day is never bumped forward. I love it! The simple joys in life, I know.

Anyways, the whole garbage collection deal is much different here than in B.C. We can put out 2 garbage cans, unlimited compost (in a designated green bin or large brown paper bags) as well as unlimited recycling. However, recycling alternates weeks. One week is the blue bin for plastic and glass bottles, etc. And the following is the grey bin for newspaper and cardboard.

The other big difference that we have noticed is that people put whatever they don't want anymore at the side of the road. It is not at all uncommon to see mattresses, dressers, couch sets, old lawn mowers, etc stacked up on the curb.

Well you can probably see where this is going...every evening I take our dog Keisha for a walk before bed. The best night of all is Wednesday nights, when everything is put out on the curb ready for garbage day. Yesterday evening I spotted a set of 5 white lawn chairs and matching plastic table, a large dresser with 9 drawers, a microwave stand and several other odds and ends. The other week I saw two matching lamps. So you're probably wondering if I'm taking this stuff. I know that we're Menno's and "thrifty" but I just haven't built up the courage yet. Those perfectly good lawn chairs were just screaming for me to take them. But then what do I do? run down the road with the dog and my pile of chairs? No matter how I work it out in my mind I just feel too trashy. Even if I were to go back with the car I would just feel like a garbage collector (I know that's what I would be).

Perhaps one day, when an item is truly too amazing to pass up I will make off into the night with it and later write about my adventure with my trash or treasure. Keep you posted!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

You are hilarious! You and your "freebies"!

Anonymous said...

I think it would be so tempting to pick up the freebies but I know I'd feel weird about it. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails