Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Making Baby Food

So after about a month of feeding Sarah solids I thought it was time to start making my own baby food. My mom had sent me a link to a blog by a woman who is cooking something in her crock pot everyday of the year, yikes! Anyways, she had a post about making baby food in the crock pot. I love using my crock pot for soups, sauces, roasts, pulled beef, etc so I was eager to try baby food in the crock pot as well. It's pretty much the same as making it on the stove top, except you just put the veggies in and walk away -perfect! By dinner time the veggies are soft and can easily be pureed for baby. I love making food that I can easily prep while Sarah's having her morning nap, walk away and by dinner time it's hot and ready. This makes me a big fan and user or my crock pot.

If only I had lots of freezer space I would make enough to last for three months, as that's the recommended length of time it's good for frozen.

Cut up the veggies into chunks and put into crock pot (here I used sweet potatoes), add boiled water so its just covering the top. Blend, or puree with whatever you have on hand. I just used my little had slicer/ chopper thing, worked great. I'm sure a blender or food processor would be even better though.

First I tried the ice cube tray method. A little messy, but it worked fine. Put it in the freezer, then pop them out into a freezer bag.



I had lots of pureed sweet potatoes left and only 2 ice cube trays total, time to get creative. So I poured the rest of the sauce into a square baking pan and put it into the freezer. The following morning I ran a little warm water over the back of the pan and popped the square sauce out of the pan onto a cutting board. With a large knife I was easily able to cut it into cubes for later use, it worked great. Who would have thought?

Sarah really enjoyed her sweet potatoe dinner that day. All the bibs were in the wash, so she's sporting a washcloth tucked into her shirt. Turns out this is my new favourite kind of bib, a little lazy I know. Anyways, I think I'll be doing up a veggie blend next.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha. The look on Sarah's face is great!

Artisan Home said...

Hey! Great idea! What is the link to the baby food blog? I'd love to get some resources on how to make my own baby food too! I still have a couple months before she needs to eat solids but its always good to prepare in advance.
Also, do you have any good pumpkin pie recipes and tips? My pumpkin pie totally bombed! :( haha!

Shari said...

The blog site just showed and said that you can make baby food in your crock pot. I'll do some more experimenting and post my results for you.
I don't really have any great pumpkin pie recipes or tips off hand. I'll have to have a look and get back to you on that one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails