Monday, March 23, 2009

A Pretty Paska Ring

Sarah entertaining herself with empty formula tins and a wisk while I prepared the dough.

Knowing that I wasn't going to be getting any of my Oma's paska (Easter bread) this year, I figured it was time to learn how to make my own. Since I love to experiment and try new things I thought I would try one other recipe first and see how it measured up to my Oma's paska.

I got the recipe from a site called Mennonite Girls Can Cook (http://mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/2009/03/paska-lovellas-recipe.html). I came across the site a couple of months ago when I was looking for another recipe. Anyways, the paska recipe included an orange and lemon, which was different than any other paska that I have had. The verdict was that it tasted great, David loved it! However, it didn't bring back those nostalgic memories of Easter's long ago, we agreed that it was just too different than Oma's. So I've decided to refer to it as Sweet Citrus Bread as to not confuse it with our family's traditional paska. I will indeed be making it again though.
The recipe made enough dough for 4-5 loafs. Well, I only have three loaf pans and didn't feel like making mini loafs in cupcake tins. So I thought I would try to make a bread ring in my bundt pan. I have never seen this before but thought that it could be fun. Well, it turned out beautifully! I will indeed be making paska (or citrus bread) this way again. It was much prettier than a regular loaf and made smaller slices, which were better for serving. Since David and I don't love tons of thick icing, I just put an icing glaze over the bread. I brought the ring to care group where it was much enjoyed. Perhaps next week I will try making Oma's paska.



This morning I gave Sarah a slice to have for herself. Normally we just giver her bits of ours, so she was pretty thrilled to have a slice all to herself.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails