Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Serenity Now

Sitting on the front porch of a tiny Greek restaurant (on the island of Corfu, Greece). Eating the most delicious fresh Greek salad, pitas, tzatiki, chicken, etc. Warm weather, slight breeze. Totally peaceful. No where to go and nothing to do, just enjoy the day. Take me back...yes please! One day honey, one day...

I am generally a happy and content person. Life is good, I am blessed beyond words. I adore our children and love them to bits.

That being said, I think it's safe to say that any mother out there will agree that there are moments where you feel like you're losing your mind. It's hard not to feel frustrated, irritated, and even angry at times.

Sarah is a sweetie, but she has a very challenging side to her, I'm sure this comes as no surprise. She is strong willed, determined and isn't afraid to show her emotions (all of them). Since Calvin is on the move and standing along furniture he is also falling a lot more. This equals much more crying in our house. Getting him to nap has also been much more challenging due to all his new skills.

Lately I find myself often thinking of the "before children" days. I wouldn't change where we're at for anything. Everything is a season. However, I think back on those days fondly. I am so... glad that David and I had lots of time together before we had children. Even more than that, I'm glad that we made the most of our time and created lots of amazing memories together. The photos in this post illustrate where I find my mind wandering to these days... can you blame me?



Ahhh...Venice. Days spent walking the little streets and bridges. Exploring the town and peeking into shops along the way. Amazing gelato. Enough said.

The best part of all, experiencing it all with the love of my life, David. Great conversation, wonderful adventures and so much fun. One day, probably quite far away, we will get away again (just the 2 of us). Every couple needs a holiday from their kids, we are no different.
In the meantime we have our memories. I will let my mind drift to the islands of Greece, the streets of Venice and the parks of Paris. Through the crying, the tantrums, the really early mornings, etc, etc, I will find my serenity now.

2 comments:

Nancy Skeels said...

Oh Sheri, I can SO identify. We went to Christa's a couple of weekends ago and her house was like an oasis in the dessert. We walked in to everything immaculate and looking like a magazine photo. It only lasted a couple of minutes, and then we brought in the troops. There are definitely days where we question our sanity and wonder how our life could be so different in such a short period of time. But it is good, all the same!

Nathan and Melissa said...

I agree. Some days I just want a day off! :) But it is so worth it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails