Monday, June 21, 2010

Grandma is with Jesus

Today is my Grandma Voth's memorial service. It feels so strange not to be with our family today. Times like these are hard to be living far away.

My Grandma's journey on earth ended this past Tuesday. The news of her death came as quite a shock to our family as she wasn't sick at all. David and I are so glad that we were able to see her while we were out in BC. Little did we know that those last hugs, conversation and "I love you's" would be our last. My grandma passed away peacefully at home, at the age of 82, sitting in her favourite chair. She lived a full life for the Lord and leaves behind a great legacy. It's easier for me to say good bye knowing that grandma is with Jesus. My grandpa passed away about 18 years ago so my grandma has been alone for a long time. Even in the sadness I can't help but smile as I imagine my grandma reuniting with my grandpa in heaven.

My grandma was an amazing women. I don't remember ever hearing her complain or being negative. She was always smiling and ready to chat. My grandma loved to talk and share the latest condo and family news. I've never known an elderly women as classy as my Grandma Voth. She always looked nice. Every day she would put on a coordinating outfit (skirt, blazer, matching necklace, earrings, etc), do her hair, wear a little make up, etc. She always wore some kind of heels. Even if she wasn't going anywhere or expecting anyone to come over she always dressed up. She figured you just never knew what each day held, so you better be ready just in case.

As a child/ teen my memories of going to my grandma's house always included grape or orange pop. If you went to Grandma's and got carbonated pop you considered yourself lucky. Most of the time the pop was flat and so you knew that some of the other cousins must have been over for a visit recently. My grandma was never much of a baker but she always had little store bought glazed or powdered donuts, cookies and bugels on hand just in case. As kids we loved going to my grandma's condo and riding up and down the elevator. Other highlights included searching for the cat that was always in hiding (I think I only ever saw it about 5 times in my life), swinging on the porch swing, looking at Grandma's most recent puzzle, hearing her play the accordion, etc. Each Christmas I would look forward to seeing what kind of clothes grandma knitted for my Barbies. As we got a little older grandma occasionally made us cousins clothes. The funny thing was that grandma often remembered us and our size from the year before, therefore the clothes were almost always too small. These are good memories and smiles for me.

As a grown up I admire Grandma's handiwork and desire to help those in need. She recently knit a ton of scarves for the people of Vancouver during the Olympic games. Through the years I can't even imagine how may blankets and pieces of clothing she has knitted. I have several special crocheted blankets that she has made me through the years. My grandma could see a picture of something and recreate it with ease. One of her favourite things was going to Value Village and finding a garment or two and then redoing them to suit her perfectly. Each one of her blazers (and she had A LOT) had a different broach pinned on. Each set also had it's own set of jewelry to go with it. I have often thought that my ability to look at "trash" as see it as "treasure" and then make the transformation, has come from my grandma. In the same sense, I've always thought that my creative side comes from her as well.

My grandma loved visiting her condo friends in the social room and took part in weekly puzzle evenings for as long as I can remember. Just last month when we went to visit her she showed us her latest puzzle. The puzzle inside the box was totally different than the picture on the box making for quite the challenge. Grandma loved the news and made it her business to always be informed about what was happening around town and the World. My grandma also loved to write. She kept a detailed daily diary each day for as long as I know. When I would call or visit her she would often end off the conversation by telling me that she was happy that she had a little something special to write in her diary that evening.

My grandma will be missed by our family, her friends and all those that knew her. I thank God that I come from a family with amazing grandparent role models. I have been so blessed; I will always remember my grandma. She was one incredible woman!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your grandma sounds like she was a lovely woman. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Related Posts with Thumbnails