Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Loyalty to Lego


As a child, early teen and teacher I loved lego, still do. I was the one that would occasionally play lego with my students on inside days since it was just more fun than going in the staff room. Therefore it's no question that I hope that our children also love lego/ duplo. I'm not just talking about building blocks in general, but LEGO. Sarah received her first bin of lovely Duplo from Michael and Rebecca when Calvin was born. As Rebecca as the same love for lego/ dulpo as I do. Sarah loves pulling the bricks apart and is starting to enjoy stacking them together.

This morning while we were on our morning walk we stopped at the tiny local thrift store, somewhere we haven't gone to in nearly a year. I was thrilled to have found this great bucket full of actual real duplo for just $2. No fake Mega Blocks here! I have to tell you that I hate Mega Blocks. I'm all for things costing less, however I still appreciate good quality (especially in toys). I would rather get a great quality item second hand than a new cheaply made one.
While walking Walmart (yep, we still do that), David often talked about getting Sarah some duplo. However, it was actually the dreaded Mega Blocks he spoke of. I explain how we will only be buying our kids real duplo/ lego. I know it's much more expensive, but we'll find a way. My siblings and I would play with our lego for hours on end, one of our best toys for sure! David didn't really grow up with toys, so he doesn't understand this Lego vs Mega Block issue at all. Instead he just thinks I'm a little crazy and a bit of a Lego snob. Perhaps I am. Anyways, today I was happy to add to our Duplo collection for cheap. Let's hope this is the first of many similar lego finds to come in the years ahead.
Disclaimer: I did find one single Mega Block piece in the tub. However, I assure you that it's been removed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shari, you are so funny! You are indeed a Lego snob, but you come by it honestly! :)

Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

Shari, I am 100% with you. Mega blocks don't even compare to dulpo/Lego! The quality and functionality is far superior in lego.
Rebecca

Related Posts with Thumbnails