Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Fruit n’Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

A few days ago we were invited to have dinner with the Sawatsky family. Rachel made this wonderful coffee cake that both David and I loved. David is not a desserts kind of guy, so as soon as I realized how much he loved the cake, I realized that I needed the recipe. The next day he was already hinting that I make the cake for snack. So I did. Rachel made it with Apricot Jam, I made it with Lemon/ Pineapple Jam (very yummy), and the original recipe calls for raspberry jam. So I think that pretty much any jam would work well. Anyways, I was typing out the recipe for my recipe binder (have to keep my recipes neat) and thought I may as well copy and paste it here too. You won’t be disappointed, easy to make, easy ingredients and very tasty.

IMG_0523

Ingredients

2 ¼ cups flour

2/3 cup sugar

¾ cup butter (softened)

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

¾ cup sour cream

2 eggs

1 tsp grated lemon rind (or 1 tsp lemon juice)

1 pkg cream cheese (softened)

1/3 cup sugar

½ cup jam

Combine flour and 2/3 cup sugar in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender of 2 knives until mixture becomes coarse crumbs. Set aside 1 cup of crumb mixture for the topping. To remaining crumbs, add baking powder and soda. Mix well.

Combine sour cream, 1 egg and lemon rind. Add baking powder mixture. Stir until just moistened.

Spread over bottom and half way up the side of a greased 9 inch spring form pan with removable bottom (this is a little tricky as it’s pretty thick). Beat together cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar and remaining egg. Pour over batter in the pan. Carefully spoon jam over cheese filling. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on top. Bake at 350 F for about 40 minutes or until the filling is set and the crust is a light golden colour. Cool in pan. Once cool remove sides of pan and carefully slide the cake onto a serving plate or serve on pan bottom.

IMG_0525

Good with tea or coffee for snack, dessert or even breakfast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love coffee cake so I may just have to give this one a try.

Related Posts with Thumbnails