Sunday, October 19, 2008

Life in the kitchen



I've always liked to bake and mostly like to cook, that is if I have the time and energy for it. Anyways, I have enjoyed spending more time in the kitchen canning these days. When I got home from Abbotsford I was greeted by several bags of apples (all given to us from 3 different neighbours). So I got out some jars and decided to make apple pie in a jar (aka pie filling). You make it with a cinnamon/ nutmeg syrup so it's all ready to dump into a pie shell or use for apple crisp. I was very pleased with the results.



On Friday afternoon we headed back out to the vineyard with one of David's classmates to pick more grapes. And whoah.. did we pick grapes! A full trunk full in fact. I gave a big bag to our neighbour and juiced a big batch of grapes myself. This juice is amazing, just like Welches! I've learned (thanks to David) that the Vinus Labrusca grapes (which are mostly the dark purple grapes) are the sweeter grapes best for juicing. Ideally I would have liked to measure out the concentrate with water and then can the jars so they are ready for drinking. However, I was a little short on jars so I just made all concentrate. For drinking, 1 part concentrate and 2-3 parts water seem to be best. So in reality we've actually got a lot of grape juice. I think that once we open a jar I will freeze the remaining amount in ice cube trays and then we can just mix it with water when we want to drink it.


A few days ago a woman brought me a FULL large size laundry basket full of red delicious apples, for free! I posted an ad on Kijiji wanting any unwanted apples. I couldn't believe that she even picked them and delievered them to us, the people here are just so kind! So my job for today and tomorrow will be making all of the apples into sauce for little Sarah. I think I'm going to need to get more jars. Thankfully, jars are just 15 cents at the MCC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those jars of canned apple pie filling are pure genius!

Related Posts with Thumbnails