Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Finding Christ in theVineyards


Those of you who know David well know that he is a man that likes to speak in analogies. He is always using a story, illustration or some kind of comparison to explain what he means. This is especially true when communicating how he feels, especially that which is personal and important to him.


When David was first exploring the option of becoming a wine maker he talked to me about how he had always loved the analogies that Jesus used to us as the vine and God as our gardener. He understood the importance of being in union and fellowship with Christ, for without this relationship with Christ we would be without fruit. David never wanted to become a wine maker because he loves alcohol or likes to drink a lot. This is hard for many people to understand. Rather, he loved the idea of creating something, the science behind it, as well as what the vine and its fruit mean biblically.


The Vine and the Branches (John 15:1-8)


“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that t it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
“I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain I me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given to you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”


The other day he came home from school smiling as he explained an insight that he had while during lab at the research vineyard. He reminded me of the passage in John 15:1 and further explained what it meant to him. What he had never thought about was the dirt. During the lab his professor was explaining how important the dirt is for good vine growth and how much it affects the fruit. Grapes grow best in what gardeners would consider poor soil conditions. When vines are planted in poor soil the roots are forced to reach deeper and deeper into the soil to look for nutrients. If God is the gardener, we are the vine, and the fruit is the product of a godly life. Then the dirt could be thought of as the world or what’s happening in our life.


If a vine was planted in rich wonderful soil, the roots would never go deep, so the vine would not grow well and therefore there wouldn’t be good fruit. Perhaps if life was all rosy and wonderful all the time our faith wouldn’t be as strong in the Lord, consequently we wouldn’t be as fruitful.
We know several people that are going through especially hard times in life at the moment. David and I have prayed a lot and talked often trying to understand why such sad or horrible things can happen to such wonderful godly people. I know as Christians we are not immune to sadness or the sin of this world. Thinking of the vine and the role of the soil has helped us appreciate the harder times in our own lives and has given us a greater sense of hope for others that our hurting.


I continue to appreciate David’s wisdom and all that he is learning. I never expected to be learning so much about grapes and winemaking myself! I truly feel that this little insight and piece of information about growing grapes have helped me understand life and myself in a greater way. The greater our roots need to go, the closer union we can have with Christ, all leading to a more fruitful life for Christ.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful Shari. Thank you so much for sharing that, I will have to get Jon to read it when I get home. I love you and David and the heart you have for people who are hurting/struggling and your love for Christ....we are blessed to know you!

Laura Balzer

Melanie said...

Deep thoughts by David...much appreciated!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing insight! I've never thought about the soil before, but it makes perfect sense.

Related Posts with Thumbnails