Friday, May 22, 2009

Sun Sneezing

I have always been a sun sneezer, someone who sneezes when I go into the bright sunlight or when I see a bright light. Sarah has also been blessed with this lovely trait, not surprisinly since she seems to take after me in MANY ways. David is always laughing when we go outside and the two of us start sneezing. "Just like your mom," he says to Sarah. This morning when Sarah and I were going for our regular walk I couldn't help but laugh as I turned a corner and the two of us started sneezing in unison.

FYI: Sun sneezing is actually called the photic sneeze reflex. It's a genetic autosonal dominant trait, which causes sneezing when exposed suddenly to bright light, possibly many times consecutively. It is also referred to as photic sneeze response. The condition affects 18-35% of the human population. Since David doesn't have this trait, but I do, it is probable that it will affect aprox half of our kids.

So why does it happen?The probable cause is a congenital malfunction in nerve signals in the trigeminal nerve nuclei. The fifth cranial nerve, called the trigeminal nerve, is apparently responsible for sneezes. Research suggests that some people have an association between this nerve and the nerve that transmits visual impulses to the brain. Overstimulation of the optic nerve triggers the trigeminal nerve, and this causes the photic sneeze reflex.
In addition this sneeze reflex can be brought on by a sudden inhaling of cold air or a strong flavor such as a strong mint gum. This implies an overstimulation of any nerve close to the trigeminal nerve can cause the sneeze reflex. There you have it, sun sneezing according to Wikipedia.

I've always wondered what the deal was with the whole sun sneezing thing, so I thought it was time to actually get some answers. Growing up I thought everyone sneezed when they went into the bright sun, but it looks like I'm the odd one out on this one. One more way that God made me unique.

3 comments:

Donna said...

Melissa is a sun sneezer too, and both Ken & I don't... so somewhere up the line someone's passed it along. My brother does it too... so maybe it's in my genes. It is kinda funny, and the two of you together must be humorous!

Wes said...

Wikipedia to the rescue ;-) Academically unsound, but convenient!

I didn't know about your sun-sneezing symptoms, or even that it existed.

Anonymous said...

That's really interesting. I've always wondered why some people sneeze from sunlight.

Related Posts with Thumbnails