Thursday, June 16, 2011

Newborn Photography

Last week I had my 5th newborn session. With each session I've been amazed with how much I have learned and grown. I've had such a desire to learn how to use my camera better and really get a grasp on newborn photography specifically (I don't want to be a "Jack of all Trades"). I've been reading, practicing, posing and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. After each session, I review my pics at home and make note of one thing I did well and my two major flaws. Then I work on learning how to improve for my next session. Let me tell you, babies are not as easy to photograph as you may think. I'm happy to finally be in full manual mode and only use natural light, what a big learning curve for a non pro like me. I feel like it's all finally "clicked" (no pun intended).


It's kind of funny, since I only started taking newborn pics in order to get photos for my cards. However, I've come to really love it. I've decided that I'll continue with newborn photography as the opportunities allow. I have the baby connections anyways, and it always leads to birth announcement orders (or vice versa). I hate stock photos (and cards that end up looking similar to other sites), so it's really up to me to get the images. I've got an awesome group of wedding photographers that send me photos whenever I like, but the whole baby/ kids/ family is not so easy. There's really nothing worse than a website that has all the same pics in the cards or just really bad photos. Anyways, I thought I would post some pics from the last two sessions I did, just for something different. Hopefully you can see my growth. I have a long way to go, but feel really happy with the progress I've made so far. Celebrating milestones.

I love this little egg basket and so have the "clients." I'm posting this pic for my mom, since she thought I was crazy when I was trying to explain what I was doing with it. Lovin' Kijiji these days!


So there you have it, a couple precious little newborn girls. I still haven't photographed a newborn baby boy, hopefully soon! Spending time with all these babies such gets me excited for our own on the way!









Since we'll be living in the Lower Mainland again (yahoo!!!), I'm also thinking of doing some September mini family photo sessions/ Christmas card packages. Something like 30-40 minutes, aprox 15 high res edited images, and a digital Christmas card for aprox $50. It's a win win for everyone. Ideally, I would love to have three different days, and a different location for each. I'll have to put some feelers out there and see how much interest I would get from the Abby community. It would be fun! I feel like my mind is full of all kinds of ideas right now, watch out.

5 comments:

Ana said...

Some beautiful pics here! Way to go!

So excited that you guys will be around here soon! Yeah!

Jonathan said...

SHARI!!!! these photos are AMAZING! i am so proud of you! i knew you were taking some of your own pics to use, but these are fabulous, good job! I'm now extra excited that you are coming back :) It's good to have a great photographer in your circle of friends!
-laura

Nancy Skeels said...

count us in for that family photo session... we'd love it! great baby photos, great ideas, too!

Nicole said...

Beautiful pics!! And count us in for the family photo session as well :)

Sonja said...

Shari, it's too bad that I wasn't following your blog to notice your Christmas mini-sessions! I would have totally booked with you! Let me know when you do it again, and I'll be there :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails