Thursday, June 16, 2011

Intentional Play



I've always struggled a bit with how to really play with the kids when they're babies. Putting blocks in boxes, peek a boo, etc, it just isn't that exciting for me. I get bored and often wished I was doing something else (kind of sad but true). I feel like it's taken quite a while for Sarah to start playing more intentionally with her toys. She's never been one of those kids that will just play for ages with her little people, dolls or whatever.


I've noticed both of our kids change a lot in this way this the past month. Sarah loves to play shopping, house, dolls, duplo, etc and Calvin can play for good lengths of time building with his blocks. I'm loving this stage in regards to play! We build houses out of blocks and play with the duplo people. We play shopping with our cash register and grocery cart. We wrap the babies up in blankets and put them to bed. It's not that our kids didn't do any of these things before, however, they are now able to play for longer and with more imagination. I love being able to interact and play with them in this way. I loved playing with my siblings as a child, we could play for hours on the living room floor with just our blocks, lego, etc. Therefore it's so encouraging to see our kids starting to play with more purpose and imagination, about a year ago I wondered if this day would ever really come.



Sarah was having fun posing for the camera and eventually Calvin decided to come and join in. Here she's showing him how to smile for "cheese" (how she refers to pictures).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails