Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sarah's in her big bed


Sarah's been sleeping in her crib up until last night. Not having a truck or van, it's not so easy to just pick up a new mattress. We had arranged for a friend to help us pick up a mattress a while back but when we got to the store they had just sold out.
Anyways, on our way back from Toronto yesterday we decided to stop at Ikea. I thought I could look for a duvet cover for Sarah and it would be something to do. Sarah loved wandering through the rooms, trying out the beds, sofas, toys, etc. We got a duvet cover (already bought twin sheets) and figured we would just try to plan to pick up the mattress this week or next. When we got to the AS IS section they had a thick foam mattress for just $50. We decided to go this route in the end since we could easily stuff it into the trunk and get on with the whole bed training. For now we just have the mattress on the floor to transition her easily.
Last night was Sarah's first night on her new bed. She was so eager and excited to sleep on it. She loved the new blanket as well. We were amazed that she just lay down and went to sleep and didn't get up until morning. In fact, I went into her room just after 7am and she was happily laying in bed talking to her sheep. Her afternoon nap went just as smoothly, as did bed time tonight. She was just ready.
Potty training has also been an encouraging experience so far. Amazingly, Sarah has only had one accident so far. We even took her out twice today, without a diaper! I was pretty nervous but all was well. Patience and chocolates seem to be working really well for us. We're just playing up the whole "big girl" idea, big girl bed, big girl potty, big girl school. Pretty exciting.

2 comments:

Sharalee said...

Oh Shari....you have inspired me. We already have a twin size ikea foam mattress!

I'm going to get a mattress protector and then I am taking everything out of Chloe's room except the mattress and her crib, and we'll see what happens!

Terrifying!!!!! I'm sure I shouldn't be so scared but I just can't help it! :P

Anonymous said...

I remember very well the transition to a big girl bed when my girls were that age. I loved that they could get up by themselves in the morning and didn't have to wait for me to come get them out of the crib.

Gorgeous bedding, by the way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails