Thursday, December 4, 2008

For Josias


Tomorrow is the memorial service for Josias, Jon and Laura's precious baby boy that was born stillborn last week. They had known prior that Josias had some developmental difficulties and were unsure how long his life would be after he was born; however they soon realized once he was born that he had already passed away. They were able to spend about 12 hours with Josias in the hospital. Jon and Laura openly share how they were blessed by the time that they had with him and hope to share their experience with others. They want the service to be a celebration of the blessings that they have recieved through Josias and a time where people would see the hope found in Christ. What amazing people of faith! When I asked Laura if I could share more about their story she explained to me that they didn't want Josias' story to be kept silent, but rather that it was an incredible story and needed to be told.

David and I so wish that we could be at the memorial service. The Balzer's have been on my mind so much and even though I didn't get to meet Josias, I have grown to love him over the past months. He was and is a precious baby and child of God. We are so sad that his time on earth was limited to only being in Laura's womb. But we are thankful for the hope that we have in Christ Jesus. We know that one day we will be able to meet Josias and hold him in our arms. Our comfort lies in knowing that Josias is in heaven, with his Creator, the one that loves him more than anyone.

Thinking of Jon, Laura and Josias reminds me of the reality that our children are a gift from God, they are put into our trust but they are not our possessions. I can't imagine how hard it would be to experience the death of a child. I know that no one can truly understand unless they have experienced it themselves.

Through Jon, Laura and this experience I have learned more about love, hope and peace than I have in a long time. Their love for each other and their child, their hope in Christ and the peace that they are finding in their faith, each other and those around them. Jon and Laura, you are truly an incredible example of love, hope and peace. David and I continue to pray for your family. That Christ would continue to draw you together and closely to him. We also pray that through the sadness you would continue to see him in real and amazing ways in your life. May Josias' story help people see the hope found in a relationship with Christ.

Even though Jesus is now the one looking after Josias; Jon and Laura, Josias will always be your son and you his parents. We love hearing about him and the treasure that he is to you. He is a blessing indeed.

With Laura's permission, I wanted to include a few photographs of their family, before and after Josias was born. Through Laura, I learned about an organization called "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep." The organization is made up of professional photographers located throughout the US, Canada and 25 other countries. Their purpose is to offer free photography to couples who have or will be experiencing the death of an infant. I wasn't quite sure what to think of it when Laura first told me about the organization. However, I have come to learn that these photographers offer an incredible gift to parents, the gift of tangible beautiful memories of their child.

The photographers are trained as to how to best photograph babies while in hospital and how to be sensitive and compassionate in the situation. All of the photographers work on a volunteer basis. Jillian, Jon and Laura's photographer, came to their house to take some photos before Josias was born and then later at the hospital as well, to take photos of Josias and their family. It has been encouraging to hear about such a wonderful organization that offers such an amazing service to people. If you have a moment, or are interested you can check out their website at

http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/ It's an incredible site with many testimonials and photos from families that have used the service. Be sure to have some tissues in hand if you have a look.

We are thankful for the gift that this organization has given our friends. We have also enjoyed how the photos have added to the reality of the situation and allowed us as friends to be able to find a deeper connection to Josias. I know that those aren't quite the right words, but I hope that you will understand what I mean.

Beautiful Laura



I LOVE this photo of Jon and Laura. All of the photos capture that sense of "love, hope and peace, " I really don't know how else to say it.


I hope that this posting conveys the love we have for our friends and baby Josias. There really are no "great" words in this kind of situation. If I worded something poorly, I apologize, I simply seek to share my heart, being vulnerable doing so. Jon and Laura, if you read this, know we love your family dearly. Thank you for allowing me to share your story with the people in our lives.

1 comment:

Artisan Home said...

Thank you, Shari, for sharing this story. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. It reminds me of my miscarriage in 2007. Our baby was only 6.5 weeks old, its heart was already functioning and it was growing quickly. It was a very hard time, emotionally and physically, but God carried us and we know our baby is with Jesus. Thanks for your very thoughtful and loving words for the Balzers.
Love Jen

Related Posts with Thumbnails