Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Curiosity, Crib, Change and Challenges

Sarah is curious about everything. Yesterday she figured out that drawers have knobs and knobs can be pulled. And even better than that, there are neat and interesting things in the drawers once the knobs have been pulled. So one of her new favourite things to do is crawl across the livingroom to look inside the TV cabinet drawers. Life is just too exciting when you are a baby!


Pulling herself up is another exciting new thing to do. She has done this several times before but it always seemed to take a lot of effort for her and happen kind of by chance. The more that she does it the more exciting it is and the more she wants to pull herself up. There hasn't been any bumped heads, etc yet, but we know they are sure to come soon enough.



Yesterday I heard her calling for me from her crib after a nap, and what did I find, but a little girl standing up in her crib against the railing. Not only is standing in the crib fun, but the railing is an excellent thing to chew on as well. She did the same thing for her second nap yesterday and that's how I found her this morning. So I suppose it's time to drop her crib mattress down another notch today. Of course, I ran and got the camera to document the moment. I love how she was standing perfectly under her name. I love how the photo captures how pleased she is with hereslf, a big toothy grin. Ahh.. they grow up so fast indeed.


As of this morning Sarah has also decided that she would like to feed herself with her spoon. While this is challenging and messy I remind myself that this is an important part of development. So instead of being irritated at the mess and the longer feeding time I will try my best to smile and be glad for this feeding milestone.


As of a week ago, we have begun the proces of weaning. This is earlier than I initially thought we would start to wean, but with going to BC in a couple of weeks and our February vacation I know that I will need some freedom from nursing. She' s almost 8 months already, so the timing also seems good. Due to the fact that she has her 2 top and 2 bottom teeth, nursing isn't always the most fun, to say the least. She has also become much more aware of the whole situation and sometimes just wants to play around. While I can handle this at home, I can't quite imagine it at the airport, restaurants, etc. Therefore, weaning has begun.


She took the bottle just fine when she was younger. But since moving to Ontario there hasn't been the need to give it to her (our mistake). So it took several days of repeated trying to get her to even suck on a bottle. This is a girl who doesn't even know how to use a soother, so I really shouldn't have been that surprised. Eventually I thought to try a different bottle/ nipple, ahh.. a little more success. We found the Playtex fast flow latex nipple was the only one that worked for her. Then we back tracked and transitioned from pumped milk to formula, this time much better. David also had to be the one to feed her in the beginning, something that I didn't mind at all. Now we have a little girl that gets really excited at just the sight of a bottle, yahoo! For a while there I was wondering what we were going to do.

Our goal was to have Sarah taking the bottle for her daytime feeds regularly by Christmas. I will continue to nurse first thing in the morning and before bed for now. It seems that we're pretty much at the goal already. It's a change indeed, and a transition for my body as well, but I'm really happy that we're doing this. We're looking forward to being able to have my mom do some baby sitting while we're in Abbotsford. I know that she's looking forward to spending time with Sarah and we're looking forward to a little break.





We normally hold her to feed her. But I had to get a photo of her with her bottle. This photo was taken this morning after her nap, she seemed to have pulled her pants off in her crib, who needs pants anywyas? She loves to hold it and "feed herself." There is something about a baby and a bottle that I just find so cute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your blog...it gives me a glimpse of what is ahead for Adri and I. I look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks!

Anonymous said...

It IS amazing how quickly kids grow and change. I'm sure my girls were babies just yesterday, reaching the same milestones as Sarah.

Anonymous said...

Sarah is growing up so fast. I love this stage though. They keep themselves (& you) so busy. They can experience so much more with moving around and opening drawers. Rawley became so much more contents on his own when he started exploring.
I am enjoying reading your blog about all your new adventures back East.
Tammy Walker (Jenkins)

Related Posts with Thumbnails