Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pumpkin Scones: From the Garden to my Tummy

Normally at this time of year I'm thinking about what to plant in our little garden. This year I'll just plant some tomatoes, a couple of zucchini and pumpkin plants. We won't get to see the pumpkins grow. However, I know that the people moving into our home have little kids and all kids like pumpkins. As a part of the whole "moving plan" I've been trying to use up things in the freezer and cupboards. The other day I came across the last of the little pumpkin pucks that I froze last fall. So I baked up the last batch of pumpkin scones until fall.

Last year at this time I planted sugar pumpkin seeds, which according to my research are the best kind of pumpkins for pumpkin pie and other pumpkin baking. Once I harvested the pumpkins, I cut them into quarters, gut them and baked them. I then scoop the warm pulp into the blender and made lots of pumpkin puree. I was originally going to can the pumpkin puree but learned that it's not safe to do so for health reasons. So I got what I thought was a brilliant idea and froze the puree into muffin tins. Once the puree was frozen, I popped out the pucks and put them in bags. 2 pucks with a bit of the water drained off is equal to 1/2 cup. This worked out so great, that I plan on doing this anytime we have a garden. Fresh pumpkin, no waste, super cheap, very tasty...there isn't much better than that. So, if you've got a little extra garden space and like pumpkin, there's an idea for you.

Here is a pumpkin scone recipe that I've used and revised over the years:

Dry Mixture: 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 1/2 tsp baking powder , 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, pinch of salt


1/2 cup butter


Wet Mixture:

3/4 cup while milk or buttermilk, 1/2 fresh or canned pumpkin, 1 beaten egg, 1 tsp vanilla


Sift all dry ingredients together. Cut in butter/ margarine. Stir together wet ingredients and add to dry mixture. Mix all together until just mixed and place on counter . The dough will be pretty sticky, so make sure you have a floured surface and hands. I pat the dough into a circle (see below) and cut it into 8 triangles. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes. Let cool fully before icing.


Cream Cheese Icing:

1/2 a brick (4 oz) of cream cheese

1/4 cup softened butter

1 1/2 cup icing sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

pinch of salt


Beat cream cheese and butter together and then beat the rest of the ingredients in until smooth. I top with caramel sauce as well (COBS inspired). I have clear Wilton containers that are great for the caramel topping.



I'm not a big breakfast eater. However, fresh baking, fruit and a cup of earl grey tea and I'm a happy girl. Yummy! These make the best fall breakfast or anytime treat, just have to plan for them now.

1 comment:

sRebecca said...

I want to come have breakfast with you. That sounds perfect. Miss you!
Rebecca

Related Posts with Thumbnails