Monday, March 21, 2011

Kids Remember


People sometimes ask us why we bother going on trips, etc with our kids since they won't remember any of them anyways. Sure, they won't be able to look back and remember every detail but we're confident that they'll be able to look back and think fondly of good memories that we've shared as a family, even if it's just a general feeling. We hope this helps create a sense of adventure in our children, a willingness to experience new things, the ability to take risks and live fully without fear. Not to mention, that it's fun. David and I treasure these memories with our family.
Interestingly, everyday since we have come back from our cruise (over a month ago), Sarah climbs into our bed in the morning for a snuggle and goes on to tell me about the plane and the "ice cream boat." She giggles, chats and uses her hands to gesture about the trip. I have continued to be amazed at how much she has remembered and the impression that the experience left on our little girl. She doesn't appear to be forgetting about the experience anytime soon.
As a side note, a comment was left by someone (unknown) who didn't understand how we could afford to travel as often as we do or plan to. I understand that from the outside this can be difficult to understand, I'm not coming down on the person who left the comment. I hope that I never gave the impression of bragging, since that was never intended. This is our family blog site. The main purpose of our blog is to journal about our life. People are more than welcome to come here to read about what we're up to, etc. I like to occasionaly write posts for others, however that is not the main purpose of this blog. This is a place where I should be able to share by joys, excitment and even sadness, it's our blog after all.
The reality is that our family is heading into a brief period of time where we have freedom to travel and go on adventures. With me not working a regular job, David finishing up school in a matter of weeks (just thesis left after that) and no work, kids that aren't in school and are no longer babies, we actually have a lot of time to spend together. As an added bonus we are doing fine in the resouces department (no debt here). We see this all as a gift that we want to make the most of. We know that this is a season that won't last long. By the end of summer, we'll have moved (unpacking, etc), possibly bought a home (lots of expenses there) and David hopes to be working at a winery (no vacation time anytime soon) we also plan to have more kids down the road, which makes travel not so easy.
I also think a lot of it comes down to priorities and a way of living. People can spend $2000 on a bathroom reno and no one thinks twice, it's just a bathroom. People don't think someone is rich if they do a little landscaping, buy a new washer/ dryer, buy a second (used) vehicle, replace some flooring, etc (you get the idea). However, people often seem to think that those that go on vacations regularly must have money to burn (it's not the case). It's just a matter of priorities. I'm not trying to start a debate on money, spending, etc. However, I am polietly asking you not to judge us on the way we spend our money and/ or our priorities. If you are truly concerened you are welcome to send me a personal email or call. We have nothing to hide and I would therefore be happy to answer any of your questions.
We have several trips (some big and some small) planned for the next 5 months. We're so excited about all of them! Just be warned, that I will indeed be posting about all of them, after all this is our family journal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like what you said about priorities. We've always placed family vacations as a high priority over a fancy house, nice vehicles, etc. It's just what's important to us. The memories we've made over the years will last a lifetime and I'm convinced that all of those trips together are a big reason why the 4 of us are so close. Especially now that our kids are on the cusp of leaving home, I really treasure the times we've spent together having adventures. You can't put a price tag on that! :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting what people have to say...I work in for a bank and every day see people overspending and they can always find a reason. I find you are amazingly resourceful and have made me think even more about ways to save so I can travel with my daughter and husband. I love reading your blog and especially your trips, I have gained so much insight on ways to save while on a cruise. I am looking forward to your next ones. For all it is worth, if you love to travel and can do with your children do it. Our family get aways are my favorite parts of having a family!

Jackie Buitelaar said...

I completely agree with you. It's simply a matter of priorities. We share your views on holidays and making that a memory for our family rather than material pocessions. Your family holidays and courage to take little ones in adventures are an inspiration to us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails