Wednesday, October 7, 2009

End of the Gardening Season

(Photos from our garden about a week ago)

I realized that I haven't posted on here in nearly a week, so I figured it was time again. David often checks our blog in the evening and keeps asking me why I haven't posted anything new. Well, not much new and/ or exciting has been going on here these days. I've been getting ready for baby, spending as much quality time with Sarah as possible, working on card orders and taking it easy in between. Not to mention that my "computer time" is often spent working on "business/work" stuff.

This week has seemed to officially be the end of gardening season for us. The cooler, windy weather is upon us and the sun suddenly doesn't seem to be shining as much. So the other day I pulled the tomato plants out...ahh.. so sad. We have been amazed at the amount of veggies that we have got out of our little garden this summer. In some ways it has been a love/ hate relationship. We have loved all the fresh produce but not always loved how we always had to figure out what to do with it. At one point we had 30 zucchini's ready to be used. The other week David used up the last of the tomatoes, a bunch of fresh basil and red onions to make amazing spaghetti sauce from scratch..yum! Sarah and I are already missing all the fresh tomatoes!

We also got quite a few little sugar pumpkins from the garden. I planted the seeds specifically to use for pumpkin pies. I've already baked two of the pumpkins. I made a couple of pumpkin pies and then pumpkin cheesecake squares the second time around. I had never used fresh pumpkin before, but it was all surprisingly easy and everything turned out really well.

We still have lots of carrots in the garden, I'm not too sure what I'll do with those. I suppose I'll just keep cooking them up; Sarah likes to eat them with her meals.

This week I'd like to bring the outdoor toys/ furniture into the garage and finish getting cleaned up before the days get even cooler and/ or I just don't feel like doing it anymore.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking that I should go deal with my little fruit patch since I know that it's in horrible shape from my neglect. But unlike you, I have no motivation to do it.

marge said...

Our garden sounds very much like yours. We cleaned up the garden this week and brought in the remaining tomatoes and the cherrie tomatoes too. It felt kind of sad. All the gape bundles are gone and a few carrots left. It does seem bitter sweet. We felt very blessed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails