Thursday, December 24, 2009

30 Years!


Two days ago it was my 30th birthday. Being a "big" birthday, I thought I should post something about it.

The day started off well since David took the kids so that I could get an extra hour and a half of sleep. It amazes me how much better that extra hour can make me feel. With two little ones it's the simple things that often make my day.
We went out for lunch to McDonalds. This may sound lame (kind of is), but I like Big Macs and it's a child friendly place. We haven't eaten there in ages; Sarah loved her tray of fries and nuggets. She's all about "dipping" her food these days. I loved my big mac. We were all happy. I have come to understand why parents eat at places that I once thought were lame and with not great food or atmosphere. If your kids are happy and eating quietly, you as the parent will enjoy yourself and have a good time. Looks like we joined that club. After a tasty McD lunch we we walked around Walmart to pick up some essentials (conditioner, gel, snow boots for Sarah).
In the afternoon I cleaned the house and did laundry while Sarah slept and David entertained Calvin. David insisted that we should just relax and leave the house work, but I reminded him that if I did nothing today the next day would be bad and I already had a list of things to do that day. Oh well, life goes on right?
The highlight of the day was going out for dinner to the Keg with David. We had both kids babysat for two hours, which was amazing!! I am so happy that Sarah doesn't have any attachment issues and loves to be with other people, doesn't even look back (almost kind of sad sometimes). Two hours may not seem like a long time, but it was our first time away from both kids, and therefore the first time in a very long time that I have been able to sit and enjoy a good meal with good conversation. We then picked up the kids and headed home to put them to bed and then we had the evening to ourselves as well.
I'm glad to say that I'm happy to be 30, don't feel old at all and am happy to say that I am without regrets. A couple of friends here were talking to me about how hard it was to turn 30 since they thought their lives would be so much different than they actually were.
I feel the same sentiment but with a sense of thankfulness and wonder that so much has happened in the past 30 years. Perhaps that's why I feel so good about turning 30. I have accomplished more than I thought possible, reached so many goals, have been blessed beyond and experienced so much already. I know that this is due to God's goodness, my faithfulness, the support of David, my personal drive to reach my goals, and the fact that we held off to start our family. Of course, some years have been better than others, but that has helped me embrace and be thankful for the better times.
I know that the next 10 years + will be busy with raising kids and supporting David and our family in this career transition. Therefore I think fondly of the past years and look forward to the years to come. Cheers to 30 years, they've been good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful 30 years! I loved turning 30. It was when I turned 31 and suddenly found myself "in my 30's" that I had a wee bit of a melt down.

Related Posts with Thumbnails