Thursday, April 9, 2009

We're Pregnant!

Surprised? We were! Yes, it was planned, as in not doing anything to prevent it. However, we didn’t expect it to happen the first time around again. Anyways, we’re thrilled. We feel so blessed and are truly thankful that we have been able to conceive so easily and that the first trimester has been smooth and without worry. We know that this is nothing to take for granted. We give God all the glory!

We’re due October 18 (or somewhere around there), making me 13 weeks along and into my second trimester. Sarah and baby number two will be just 18 months apart. I’m still in a bit of shock that we’ll have two kids by Halloween.

We found out Feb 29 when I was already 7 weeks along. A few weeks prior I was at the doctor’s office for Sarah’s check up. The nurse was asking me about how I was doing and I told her fine, just that I was a few days late but didn’t think anything of it since my body was still adjusting after finishing weaning in January. She asked me if I would take a pregnancy test just to be sure. So I did, and it came back negative. No problem, we weren’t at all disappointed as we hadn’t even started trying. The plan was to ‘see what happened’ and trust in God’s timing. My only disappointment with the negative test was that I knew I would probably get my period on our cruise. The cruise came and went and still nothing. I wasn’t sipping any wine and had been taking postnatal/prenatal vitamins for many months just in case and to prepare my body. After a couple weeks had passed we figured we should probably re-test. The test was positive! We’re happy to be having an October baby; especially with our anniversary in November and my birthday in December, not to mention Christmas and many other birthdays in December.

I’ve been feeling pretty good, similar to my pregnancy with Sarah. The most notable difference is that I’ve felt more tired and have experienced being more nauseous, especially in the evenings. So I’ve enjoyed several afternoon naps while Sarah has slept. We don’t plan on finding out the gender of the baby until he/she enters the world. Yesterday we heard the baby’s heart beat for the first time. I love how that seems to make it so much more real. The baby had a heart beat of 174. It was kind of funny since our doctor said that he figured we were probably having a girl since that’s well above what a heartbeat of a boy usually is at this point. We thought it was odd that he would even mention this. We’ll be having the baby in Niagara Falls, we figured this looked better on the birth certificate than St. Catharine’s. We also live pretty much right in between so distance wise it makes no difference.

Other than that, life has continued on as usual. The hardest thing has been keeping it secret; however it does make it a little easier being out here and not seeing people face to face. We wanted to be able to tell my mom in person when she came to visit. Sarah was wearing the shirt in the picture when we picked my mom up from the airport. It still took her awhile to figure it out though. She thought the shirt was a hand me down since Sarah wasn’t actually a big sister. It was pretty funny.

Please keep our little family in your prayers. David is now in exam time and is looking forward to the semester being fully finished. We’re all looking forward to summer and going to BC for Michael and Rebecca’s wedding. It’s hard to believe that I’ll be 5.5 months pregnant at the wedding!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. That is so exciting. I can't wait for you to post some pregnancy pictures.

Tammy Walker

Anonymous said...

Oh Shari! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you guys. I can't believe you were able to keep it a secret for that long. It must have been such a relief to finally share your good news.

Our girls are 21 months apart and I really liked having them close together. It's a little bit hectic when they're small but you soon get used to it.

Jackie Buitelaar said...

Wow! Congratulations! I can't say I am too surprise with the news. I really enjoyed having a baby in the fall, the only thing was keeping the baby warm. Adri still likes to be swaddled. We had to switch to a lighter blanket now. 18 months apart...you'll be busy, but they will be great playmates! God's blessings through the next two trimesters.

Nancy Skeels said...

Yay! How exciting! I'm glad things are going well for you. You're little one will be blessed to be part of such a great family.

Nicole said...

CONGRATS!! Such wonderful news :)

Meredith said...

Wonderful news Shari! Congratulations, I look forward to reading & seeing all the pregnancy stories :)

Donna said...

A big congratulations to you guys! That is very exciting news :)

Julie W. said...

Congratulations Shari! I look forward to seeing you guys at Michael and Rebecca's wedding!

Jeanette Tinworth said...

Congratulations, Shari! How exciting for your family! I didn't find out about Brenna until I was about 9 weeks along, and it was kind of nice to be mostly past the first stage already. How wonderful!

Unknown said...

Congratulations you guys! Our girls are 22 months apart and although busy at times, they are wonderful friends already now. Glad you are feeling well! Enjoy the journey1

Related Posts with Thumbnails