Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cleaning up...there is a point to it

The 20 minute tornado, something that all parents are familiar with. By the end of the day I often wonder what's the point of cleaning up anyways? It's just going to get all messed up as soon as Sarah wakes up (can just image what two kids will do to the place)! However, each day, throughout the day and once Sarah has gone to bed I clean it all up and restore order to our home.

Well, this past week has given me new hope and encouragement in keeping a clean and tidy home. I'm not sure if it's just the age or suddenly being a big sister and knowing she's not the baby of the house; we're not complaining whatever it is. We all know the saying that kids are always watching us... well Sarah has suddenly turned all that watching into steps of action. Each day she is demonstrating something that she's observed and following though with it.

Some Examples:

1. Last week after I changed her diaper she got up, picked up the diaper and walked away with it. I was pretty curious what she was up to so I followed her into the hallway. To my amazement she walked right to the garbage can and waited as I opened the saftey latch of the cupboard. She's since put almost all of hers AND Calvin's diapers into the garbage. I just have to say, "Sarah please put this in the garbage," and off she goes. Whenever she finds small bits of paper, etc on the floor she opens the cupboard door as much as she can and puts them in the garbage as well.

2. After watching some of the Backyardigans the other evening she went over to the couch, picked up the cushions off the floor and started arranging them on the couch like I always have them.

3. She knows that her books belong in the cabinet drawers and has started cleaning them up and putting them away when asked.

4. Yesterday evening while I was sorting and folding the laundry she started picking out her socks and putting them in the correct bin in her room. I was pretty impressed.

This may not sound too exciting, but it seems like a big milestone in our house, especially with a baby in the house (we'll take all the help we can get). I've always been vocal in telling Sarah what I'm doing and asking her to participate in cleaning up, etc; but it never really seemed like I was getting through. Apparantly, I was getting through, she was just choosing not to respond or perhaps she just wasn't ready. I am continuing to learn that kids just do things in their own time. However, I am encouraged to continue to demonstrate by example and have reasonable expectations, you never know what's going through and what they might pick up on.

So I will continue to clean the house, clean and put away the laundry, cook, and do all that fun stay at home mom kind of stuff...a little person is watching me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved it when my girls were at the age where they started helping with things...and thought it was fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails