Sunday, January 16, 2011

Everyone is a Photographer


Well not really...but it kind of seems like it sometimes.
I see a lot of photos each week. Some are beautiful professional photos, some are good, some are ok, some are point and shoot photos by people that love taking pictures and some are photos by people who don't seem to use a camera very often at all. This post is a bit of a vent, so be warned.
Since I LOVE photos, I've included some pics of the adorable baby Charlie that I photographed last Saturday. At just a week old, she was a total doll! Disclaimer: I am not a professional photographer. I did a few freebie sessions in the fall to get photos to use on my card designs and some other people saw those photos and liked them. I've now had a few "paid" photo sessions. Still not a pro photographer though. I love to learn and love the challenge. I hope to continue to do the odd photo session (family and newborn especially). It's fun, sharpens my skills, helps me grow and provides me with photos for card designs.

I continue to ask myself the question, what makes a professional photographer? It seems that photography is one of the leading types of "I'll start my own business..." types of ideas. This is especially true for moms who've enjoyed taking pictures of their kids and figure they would enjoy it as a part time job. These days I would think that almost everyone knows a "photographer."I know that the "everyone is a photographer" idea is driving lots of amazing professional photographers crazy. And why shouldn't it!?! It's a competitive field and much of the public doesn't understand what makes a pro a pro. In fact, the line is so fine at times that I think many of us are having a hard time with the difference.
I've spent a fair amount of time browsing photography blogs and websites and am continually amazed at the range in ability, level of artistry, etc. The only thing that remains constant is that everyone seems to be calling themselves a photographer. There is no degree program or certification needed to be a photographer, in fact some of the best photographers I've come across are fully self taught or worked alongside a mentor photographer. Anyone can make a website or blog, so no differentiation there. I'm amazed how many photographers don't have a website or a blog. If a "photographer" doesn't even a place where they've showcased their portfolio, you should be leary about hiring them and if you do, the price should be low.
I've learned that "edited pics" can mean a ton of different things. In order to create great cards I found it necessary to take it upon myself to learn more about editing pics (keeping resolution high, fixing white balance, levels, sharpening, etc). I still have so... much to learn but I am thankful that I'm on my way (so much better than a year ago). Even with wedding photos, there is a huge range of ability. I'm amazed how often I see "professional" pics that I can tell haven't been edited at all (or very poorly). This always makes me a little sad and feel sorry for the client.


Just because someone has a "fancy" camera and takes pictures does not make them a professional photographer. This past year I've been called several "titles" that have made me feel a little uncomfortable, probably because I don't view myself that way. I don't see myself as a graphic designer, even though I work with graphics and design. The title just sounds so daunting, I am also not educated in graphic design being all self taught. I've been called a "photographer" several times as well, this one really makes me squirm, simply, because I am not. I fall under the category of being someone with a professional level camera that likes to take photos. I do actively try to improve my skills by visiting learning photography blog sites, practicing with my camera, reading, etc. I have started to charge a nominal fee for photo sessions to cover my time and effort. To do a good job it definetly takes time, to go to the location, plan, edit the photos, etc. Photography is not quick, easy money. At this point I feel like I do have a little experience and have the right to charge something. But I refuse to charge what a professional photographer would charge, simply because I am not one. You never know, perhaps one day, but not today.

One of the reasons I wanted to write this post was to caution people when looking for a photographer. Are you hiring a real professional, a good hobbyist, amateur or someone just looking to earn a little extra money. There are a lot of great hobbyist photographers out there, just be aware that they are not seasoned pros. If you're just looking to have someone take your picture, then someone with minimal experience will likely do the trick. However, if you want your pictures to be more than just a "picture" and a piece of art, then a pro is the way to go. Just remember that just because someone claims to be a professional doesn't mean they are. Spend some time looking on different photographers websites, see what style you like and don't like. Do your homework. Ask for referrals.

One of the great things about so many hobbyists becoming "photographers" is that there is no reason for the average person/ family to get photos taken somewhat regularly. Not that long ago the options were going to a pro or going to a Walmart studio. BIG price difference not to mention quality! Now people can get relatively good, or even great photos for a decent price without having to go to Walmart. I love how photography has changed through the years, much more relaxed and journalistic. Many photographers also sell the disc/ printing rights, which is great.

I feel so thankful to the families and people that have given me opportunities to learn and grow by letting me spend time with them taking photos. It is a learning experience. There are so many amazing photographers that I truly admire. Many have shared their work with me to use in my designs which has been such an honor. I have huge respect for all the amazing pro photographers out there. It is not an easy job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been noticing that a lot lately myself too. Every other person is starting their own photography business. I understand the appeal, but you're right about not everyone being an actual pro.

Great photos of baby Charlie, by the way. What a sweet baby.

Shannon said...

I enjoyed this post, great thoughts. It's true, with great cameras now so accessible and affordable the line is definitely blurred between amateur and professional. But this makes it crucial to really set yourself out from the pack and find your own style and niche. As a photojournalist I don't desire to do commercial or portrait work but that may be what pays the bills to do the projects I'm passionate about. I guess the industry is changing so we need to adapt with it!

Your photos look great and your kids are adorable, by the way!

Related Posts with Thumbnails